Woodson's Mill

Woodsons Mill
The Details

Woodson’s Mill has been owned and loved by a small handful of families since its construction in 1794, when Guiliford Campbell built the original four-story, 32 foot square building. The Fulchers improved it in the 1840’s, adding the two runs (mill stones), which are still in use today. Sixty-some years later, Dr. Julian B. Woodson expanded the mill into a thriving enterprise that included an icehouse, sawmill, and foundry while maintaining his duties as a medical doctor and State Senator. The rise of large industrial mills in the growing post-war America, along with Dr. Woodson’s death in 1963, brought a temporary end to the mill business. But, Huron T. Campbell, who owned the mill while it was not in operation, refused to sell any of the equipment or machinery in hope that someone would eventually be able to restore it. J. Gill Brockenbrough, Jr., who purchased Woodson’s Mill in the early 1980’s, did restore it and lived there until his death in 2001. All these people were passionate about Woodson’s Mill, and so are we.

Tours are available by appointment with the mill open for business on Saturdays during the spring through fall. Check the Woodson’s Mill website for opening date and hours of operation.

Contact Information

3211 Lowesville Road
Roseland, Virginia 22967